Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Papertrey Ink Stitching Focus: April 2017

Lizzie Intro Photo

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to this month's Stitching Focus feature! This month I'm showcasing two products that are wonderful independently, but even more beautiful when used together. Let's take a closer look at today's special focus products!

Heart Stitches Graphic

The Limitless Layers: Heart Stitches Die Collection includes several variations on the basic heart shape. There are dies that cut holes (ideal for embroidery when used alone), dies that cut stitching shapes, and even a die that cuts a frame. You can also pair these with the Limitless Layers: 2 1/4" Hearts Die Collection for even more layering possibilities. How about a peek at how this collection has been featured in the past.

Something Old Title

Heart Stitches Round Up

1. Melissa's embellished mason jar features a Lavender Moon felt heart layered over a scalloped Limitless Layers: 2 1/4" Heart shape. She also used the Valentine Stitches Die Collection to add a simple silver arrow to her sweet treat package.

2. Ashley created a die cut Building Blocks background for the stitched heart focal point on her beautiful card. She used the window in the heart frame to inlay a bright Pure Poppy die cut and highlight her Building Blocks sentiment.

3. Heather used the Heart Stitches Die Collection to create an adorable shaker tag from Raspberry Fizz and Clear cardstocks. She added stamped and die cut XOXO elements after stitching the layers together, stuffed with confetti.

4. Erin layered her stitched heart with a Limitless Layers: 2 1/4" Heart to create a pocket-style book mark. She added a decorative design to her heart using the Stitched Swirls die and Bitty Button Stacks embellishments.

5. When used with cardstock, the stitching holes in the Heart Stitches dies take on an eyelet-like appearance. Melissa paired the layered hearts with Gathered Garden and Banner Style for her encouraging card.

6. You can also stitch together paper layers to create pouches like the ones that Erin made for her Valentine treats. She decorated her pouches with Tremendous Treats: Valentine and Double Ended Banners stamped using Cupid's Arrow and It's A Banner Day sentiments.



As I mentioned before, I thought we'd also take a peek at another set of dies for today's post since they look so lovely with the Heart Stitches Die Collection. Without further ado here's our additional focus for today:

Floral Cluster Graphic

The Sewing Staples: Floral Cluster Die Collection debuted in the inaugural Quick Stitch kit. While this cluster of flowers was designed to adorn the Scissor Keeper and Needle Book, these flowers can be used in so many other ways! Here are just a few of the projects in which these dainty blooms have been showcased.

Something Old Title

Floral Cluster Round Up

1. Many of you will remember Erin's Needle Book from her debut Quick Stitch Kit blog post. She used all of the flowers together in the pre-designed cluster on her gorgeous creation.

2. Tracy also used the pre-designed cluster for her Scissor Keeper. The Smokey Shadow backdrop is such a wonderful complement to the cool colors she used for the flowers and leaves.

3. Betsy used the floral die cuts as the focal point in the Stitched Monogram Frame: Rectangle design that she used to dress up her rectangular Felt Tray.

4. Betsy also used the Floral Cluster Die Collection when looking to embellish her Coin Purse. The wristlet strap she added really makes her little purse something special.

5. Kay paired the Floral Cluster flowers with the Stitched Witch Hat Die and the Stitched Circles Die to create a Halloween ornament with a touch of whimsy. Who says Halloween can't be cute?

6. My monogrammed Needle Book is something I still adore and use on a frequent basis. I love the impact that adding just a few flowers around the Sew Stylish Alphabet 1 monogram has on this design, proving that you don't have to use the whole cluster to get real wow factor.



Now that I've showed you what these two die collections can do on their own, let's take a look at the magic that happens when they meet.

Something New Title


I paired these two die collections to create a delightful handmade accessory for the upcoming Mother's Day holiday. These dies made it so easy to create wearable works of art that I'll be making several of them for the important ladies in my life. Brooches! Brooches for everyone!

Felt Heart Brooch


I used Sweet Blush felt for the heart, Vintage Cream and Harvest Gold for the flowers, and Simply Chartreuse and Spring Moss for the leaves.

Brooch Swirl Zoom


I began by die cutting two of the Heart Stitches pieces. I die cut the swirl design into the front layer using the Stitched Swirls die and completed my stitching with white floss. I used all six strands of thread to make sure the detail would be nice and bold.

Brooch Back


The pin I stitched to the back layer. I punched two holes for the ends of the pin to come through the felt (a cinch with my Crop-a-dile, though I wouldn't use a regular punch) and stitched the bar into the "inside." You could certainly stitch the bar to the back, but I like the finished, seamless look I get by doing it this way.

Brooch Down 2


Then I started embellishing the front. I began by die cutting two of each leaf and flower. You could certainly go with one, but the thickness of two layers gives nice dimension. I stitched the pairs of die cuts together with decorative stitches before creating my arrangement on the top heart layer.

Brooch Flower Zoom


I stitched the elements to the heart and added clear decorative beads to the center of each flower. By using yellow thread, I was able to add a subtle, traditional flower center to my blooms. The beads lend just a hint of sparkle and interest to the design. These are size 10 beads that I bought from my local craft store.


Brooch Down


Once my floral embellishments were all sewed into place I stitched the two heart pieces together using a blanket stitch. I stuffed a bit of Poly-fil in between the layers just before I closed things up. I can't wait to make more of these. Maybe even a few for myself!

Supplies:

Thank you so much for joining me today! I hope you've enjoyed today's post and are perhaps inspired to try and make a brooch or two for yourself. Enjoy the rest of your week, everyone, and happy stitching!

1 comment:

TeresaC said...

Beautiful project, Lizzie!! I enjoyed your review of 2 something olds. :)