Sunday, September 1, 2013

September Color Play

Good morning and welcome to Papertrey Ink's September Color Play! This month we're using a photo found on The Retro Mama blog where the very talented Kim Kruzich sews, writes patterns, and shares her crafty adventures. This totally adorable little apple pin cushion is our inspiration for this month.


I loved the color scheme and I thought it might make for an interesting card, especially since the background of her photo said "Fine Linen" to me and that isn't a color I use much. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to challenge myself a bit and pull that color out of hiding. I also thought that the palette was super versatile and would lend itself to several different design styles. So a challenge and the potential for versatility...sounds like a winner to me!


I started by pulling out a panel of Fine Linen stock and stamped it with one of the patterns from Autumn Pattern Pieces in Fine Linen and Ripe Avocado inks. That was then textured with the Linen & Canvas Impression Plate and adhered to a Rustic White card base. Next, I die cut the coffee mugs from Warm Happiness and Warm Happiness Too from Rustic White cardstock and stamped them with the coordinating images in Dark Chocolate ink. The tall mug was then stamped with Ripe Avocado and embellished with spots of Aqua Mist while the shorter mug was stamped with Pure Poppy.


I stamped my sentiment onto Rustic White stock using Dark Chocolate and Ripe Avocado inks and then added a grounding shadow in Aqua Mist to give my mugs an anchor. I wanted to reinforce the affection theme, so I stamped the heart-shaped steam image onto my focal panel using more Aqua Mist. That panel was then matted with a bit of Dark Chocolate cardstock and mounted to my card front with a bit of foam tape. I adhered my mugs (tall one flat, short one with foam tape) and the card was complete. The great thing about this card is that you could easily switch around the colors to give you a totally different feel. I went with a little more subdued take, but I can absolutely see making another card in the future with a brighter and bolder direction.

Thank you for joining me today. I hope you'll try out the color scheme for yourself and share your project over on the Papertrey Ink Challenge forum! Also, make sure to check in with Betsy, Dawn, Heather, Maile, and Melissa as they revisit the Halloween Sweets & Treats collection. You won't want to miss it! See you next time!

Recipe:
Stamps: Warm Happiness, Warm Happiness Too, Autumn Pattern Pieces, Sunflower Bouquet - Papertrey Ink
Cardstock: Fine Linen, Dark Chocolate, Rustic White - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Ripe Avocado, Fine Linen, Dark Chocolate, Pure Poppy, Aqua Mist - Papertrey Ink
Other: Warm Happiness Die, Linen & Canvas Impression Plate - Papertrey Ink; foam tape - Scotch

1 comment:

Tracey McNeely said...

Super cute card, I love the background and then the two individual cups--perfect.